We are looking for a senior/expert level Senior Backend Engineer to join our team responsible for a high-performance GraphQL API (we are a SaaS product company).
The main application you will be working on is a scalable, high performance API for supporting large scale ecommerce websites (thousands of API calls per second). The API has features for e.g., product catalogue, shopping cart and checkout. It is a rewrite of functionality in an existing application, that the same team is maintaining and migrating the functionality from piece by piece. The old application has grown organically with changing requirements, and we have decided to rewrite the API functionality from the ground up, with a changed architecture. We are implementing the main business logic as a GraphQL API written in PHP 8 on top of a MariaDB database. We use ElasticSearch and Redis and a lot of caching to produce an API that is very performant hard to kill. We will generate events using change data capture with Debezium and feed those through Kafka. On top of this, we are implementing a caching proxy as a Cloudflare Worker using TypeScript.
We work according to Scrum and our teams are self-organizing, meaning the teams themselves decide on what tech stack to use for a particular project and how to best deliver. We are all very ambitious and love to learn, and we hope you do too. We spend a lot of time coaching each other, pair programming and sharing knowledge. We organize and sponsor the PHP and TypeScript meetups in Wroclaw (we promise they will be back after Covid!).
At Centra, we have ambitious goals, and are passionate about what we do. We have a lot of fun together during and outside of work. We've gotten to where we are today because of dedication, teamwork, raw talent and our strong belief in driving innovation.
English is our working language, so you need to be a fluent English speaker.
We look for...
- Someone ambitious. We are all ambitious and our goal is to build a world-class product
- Good understanding of modern PHP 7/8 and modern programming in general
- Passion for writing beautiful, minimalistic code that is easy to understand and maintain
- Passion for performance and optimization. You need to understand how indexes work in SQL, how to create efficient queries and how to profile and debug your application
- Strong analytical skills and problem solving skills in general
- Team spirit and good eye for details (useful for code reviews!)
Our current stack:
- Apps: PHP 7, NodeJS / Typescript, Go
- APIs: GraphQL and REST APIs
- Frontend: React, Redux
- Databases: MariaDB / MySQL, ElasticSearch, Redis
- Platform: AWS, Digital Ocean, Docker
- Build Deploy Pipeline: Gitlab CI, Jenkins
- Monitoring/Debugging: Grafana, Sentry.io
What you can expect from us...
- Headless e-commerce platform for fashion & lifestyle brands
- A portfolio of clients from some of the most renowned fashion brands in Europe (ie. Stronger)
- Secured a €10M series A funding round
- Hybrid work culture
- Contract flexibility and competitive salary: contract of employment or B2B, you choose (up to 20 000 PLN gross on the contract of employment or up to 24 000 PLN net on B2B)
- A team where you can run your own projects and be trusted with your work
- Workation to leave the office for a couple of days or weeks and combine work with leisure
- Bi-weekly massages in the office
- Luxmed medical insurance plan to keep you healthy
- Multisport Plus card and a pack of fitness buddies to join you on your journey to getting fit and strong
- A non-hierarchical work-environment where you’ll have a lot of impact and space for growth
- A budget for participating in educational programs, meet-ups, and other events related to your profession
Feel at home
- Casual dress atmosphere. Wear whatever makes you feel good.
- A multicultural environment where you always belong, no matter your ethnicity, gender, religious, or social background
- Pet-friendly office. We love animals, so you can feel free to bring your pet friends to the office anytime you want
- Regular table football tournaments and lunch break face-offs
- Team-building events and friendly afterworks (both online and offline)
- Comfortable office with a chill room, ping pong table, boxing bag, table football, and more :)
- And, in case you asked, every day is a fruit Thursday at Centra 🍇 🍈 🍉 🍊 🍋 🍌
Our recruiting process:
- HR Interview
- Live coding session or a take-home assignment + a technical interview
- Interview with the team members :)
- We've developed a B2B/B2C SaaS e-commerce platform for brands. In other words, we make a software used for selling products, both wholesale and directly to consumers
- We're building our company and our products with the ambition to be the very best in the world. We are already working with some very strong brands and we are growing rapidly
- Our main tech hub is located in Wroclaw, Poland. We also have offices in Stockholm, Sweden and in New York City, USA
Follow us at @lifeatcentra on Instagram, to see what it's like to work at Centra and meet some Centra teammates.